The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Buxton
Senior Process Engineer
Job Reference tarmac/TP/114/3041
This job has been closed.
We are currently looking for a Senior Process Engineer to join our team based at our Tunstead Cement Plant, Buxton, Derbyshire. We’re working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
In this pivotal role you’ll provide expert technical support to the plant’s production, quality, and environmental functions. You will have a good understanding of strategies, priorities, and optimisation techniques that assist the plant in achieving objectives. The successful candidate will also evaluate operations, processes, and trends through audits and other systematic approaches (Six Sigma, RCFA, SPC, etc). You’ll provides technical support on implementation of new equipment and/or new procedures, including training of plant personnel as required as well as serving as coach and/or mentor to members of the team in process and other departments. You will also be required to coordinate and participate in the improvement of the plant’s technical capabilities.
To be successful in this role you are required to demonstrate a commitment to communicating, improving and adhering to safety policies in all work environment and areas and making positive contributions to the plant safety activities and initiatives.
Part of your objectives will include the initiation process optimisation in collaboration with Quality, Production and Maintenance teams to ensure maximum and efficient utilisation of the plant’s equipment. This role has a requirement of elevating the technical knowledge and practices of all facets of the operation. This role is seen as a developmental position to provide a full spectrum exposure to cement plant operations.
At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
In this role you will be responsible for a number of tasks including:
- Optimising the cement plant operations and quality by acting as the site ‘expert’ in process related issues such as capital projects
- Defining instructions and procedures concerning process key parameters and informing and training operational staff as and advising on plant operating techniques (in conjunction with the production department)
- Leading and participating process studies and audits with the support of experts from the technical centre
- Liaising with the technical centres for process issues and taking part in the developments carried out by the.
- Developing IT tools to facilitate process management and challenging daily main equipment operations set-points and practices in: raw mix preparation, kiln operation, and finish grinding. Monitoring and interpreting the daily quality results and working with plant cross functional personnel, to diagnose process incidents in the field and determine root causes. Optimising daily process by proposing modifications to the process parameters at all stages of the cement manufacturing process. Analysing process records and create daily reporting using TDM/PI and other process tools.
- Working in partnership with production department, developing and updating the Standard Operating Procedures for Control Room Operators so that the plant is running at optimum level at all times.
- Creating and participating in experimentation plans for alternate fuels substitution. Assess and manage the implementation of alternate fuels.
- Organize and complete audits of raw mill, pyro processing, and finish grinding in autonomy. Identify deviations in process operations and propose / validate corrective actions.
- Maintain a database containing the “base line” capabilities of all current equipment and processes.
- To identify power reduction projects and continually improve & optimise the plant to reduce power, ultimately striving for the plant to achieve the lowest possible power consumption
- To optimise fuel consumption and prioritise the increased use of alternative fuels & alternative raw materials to deliver cost reductions and increased biomass material.
- Analyse plant technical information on a daily, weekly and monthly basis to advise production, quality, environment, systems and maintenance departments on improvement opportunities.
- Advise production and quality departments on plant running parameters / targets.
- Organise and contribute to the implementation of process inspections (both running and stopped) on main plant as per guidelines and Plant needs. Report the findings and liaise with relevant departments so that findings and recommendations are followed-up and actions progressed.
- Manage and develop team members; coach and support to develop individual’s technical skills and develop their understanding of the wider business issues relevant to their job.
- To maintain positive relations with all Plant stakeholders
- Work with Project team in the determination of equipment specifications for plant improvement projects
- Deputise for the Optimisation Manager in their absence.
- Any other assigned duties as required.
- Leading safety in the Optimisation team and demonstrate clear commitment to achieving zero harm on the Plant. Ensuring that high safety standards are met, coaching and challenging others to work safely.
- Identify environmental constraints and impact on operating permits associated with modification of process, fuels, and / or raw material changes.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role you will be degree qualified in chemical engineering degree or have equivalent experience. In addition, you should have:
- IOSH Managing Safely
- IChemE associated - working towards or willing to attain chartered engineering status
- Safety and Environmental laws and regulations
- Cement manufacturing processes: raw meal preparation, burning, combustion and milling
- General knowledge in physics, chemistry, thermodynamics and IT
- Waste-derived fuel knowledge and experience
- Leadership and management of others
- Time served in production or process department
- Excellent interpersonal skills to lead, motivate and support functional and cross-functional teams
- Attention to detail
- Self-motivated and results orientated
- Innovative and creative thinking
- Commitment to development of self and others
Plant operations are 365 days, 24/7 and the role requires flexibility to ensure effective running of the plant. This may involve night working, weekend and Bank holidays and being on call if necessary
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities ( employee networks) we currently have nine communities inc.(REACH) Religious, Ethnic, Cultural Heritage, LGBTQ+ , Parents & carers, Ability , Wellbeing, Female voice and menopause
- Training and development opportunities
Interested? Why not click here to find out more? Go on… are you ready to build your future?
Tarmac is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.