This job has been closed.
Founded in 1968, Griffiths is one of the leading civil engineering and rail contractors working throughout Wales, the midlands and south-west England. With an annual turnover of circa £225m our 1000+ directly employed, well-trained, dedicated and highly competent workforce deliver client solutions which includes Welsh Government, Network Rail, Highways England, local authorities, Utility Companies and selected private sector organisations.
In 2018, Griffiths became part of Tarmac, the UK’s leading sustainable building materials business and a wholly owned subsidiary of CRH. Griffiths has over 1,000 employees operating across 100 sites or schemes at any given time.
We are currently recruiting for experienced Sub-Agents to join our team on the A391 North Devon Link Road Project located between Barnstaple and South Molton. This important and strategic scheme involves the widening of the existing carriageway into three-lane running while maintaining current traffic flow.
The project is programmed for completion during December 2023.
In our effort to create a diverse and inclusive work environment, we welcome applicants from all ethnicity and background for these roles.
Reporting directly to the Site Agent you will be expected to understand and accept verbal and written instruction and be responsible for:
- Delivery of the project in line with the construction programme and Works Information.
- Managing a team of site engineers.
- Drawing up Method Statements, Risk Assessments and Permits.
- Ensuring daily work record sheets and diaries.
- Daily programming and planning of work operations.
- Ensuring all works are undertaken in accordance with company Health and Safety Rules and Procedures.
- Reporting any unsafe act or defect to your Line Manager.
- Liaise with fellow members of the project team and client’s representatives on site.
The Ideal Candidate
Successful candidates will have previous experience within the Civil Engineering industry and, preferably, on similar highway projects. Candidates would be expected to have experience and knowledge of the following disciplines:
- Reading and understanding construction drawings and specification.
- Familiarity with the NEC Form of contract.
- Resource management
- Planning and programming
- Commercial awareness
- Highway Works and/or RC Structural Concrete
- Good English spoken and writing skills.
- To be degree educated or equivalent qualification
- To be working (or looking) towards achieving chartered status.
- To possess a valid CSCS & SMSTS card
- To be eligible to work in the UK
- To work site hours (Generally 07.30 – 17.30) Monday to Friday
- To work occasional night and weekend shifts
- To be motivated and enthusiastic
Successful candidates will be given every opportunity to develop and progress their careers with a forward thinking and rapidly expanding business on future schemes across the South West region.
At Tarmac we are passionate that our workforce reflects the communities where we operate. Our ambition is that everyone regardless of level, role, or background will enjoy an environment of respect, inclusion and belonging. We actively remove barriers to ensure everyone is supported and can reach their potential with us. We take active steps to encourage people from a broad range of backgrounds to apply for jobs at Tarmac as we believe a diverse, inclusive company will enable everyone to thrive. We are a disability confident employer and will make reasonable adjustments as required. We are committed to support part-time and flexible working and believe getting the balance right is critical to personal and professional success.